Today I was reading an article on bears and I found myself wondering what I would do if I was ever in a confrontation with a bear. I realised I didn't know anything about bears so I decided to do some research.
Here is what to do whenever your confronted by a bear.
- Stay calm. Your calm behaviour can reassure the bear. Screams or sudden movements may trigger an attack.
- Speak to the bear. Talk calmly and firmly. This lets the bear know you are human and not a prey animal. If a bear rears on its hind legs and waves its nose about, it is trying to identify you.
- Back away slowly. Never run! Running may trigger a pursuit.
- Make yourself appear BIG. Pick up small children and stay in a group.
- Do not drop your pack. It can provide protection.